Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, February 12, 2011

It's amazing either country made it into space

Do a third of Russians believe the sun spins around Earth?: Survey points to low science literacy ... but Americans aren't brilliant, either

Can you determine the truth value of these statements correctly?

  • The Earth goes around the sun.
  • All radioactivity is man-made.
  • Humans lived at the same time as the dinosaurs.

I don't know how they were worded in the surveys, but of course the answers are True, False, and False.

Trouble is:

Russians surveyed--
32% said Earth was the centre of the solar system.
55% said that all radioactivity is human-made.
29% said the first humans lived when dinosaurs were on Earth.

Americans (in different but similar surveys)--
72% said Earth goes around the sun.
63% knew there was radiation that was not man-made.
59% said dinosaurs and humans did not live at the same time.

That leaves a lot of people who don't know squat about basic science in both countries.

2 comments:

Belajar Apa itu ADHD? said...

I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

Bob said...

It's interesting that at OK Cupid one of the match questions is "Which is bigger, the Earth or the Sun?" and I see so many girls answer "the Earth" that I wonder if it's a trick question and I answered wrong.