Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ah, home, thank goodness

We're having our first real snowfall (real=accumulation in my mind). I didn't have a coat with me today so of course I was out in my work shirt (long-sleeved, but rather thin) and no gloves scraping snow of my car once I got off work. At least I found my scraper without too much trouble. :)

I did pay my rent today, so I get to live indoors. It took two loans to do so; I borrowed the bulk of what I needed from my mother, and then realised I'd miscalculated and left out a $50 charge that was added on. I managed to come up with the rest by raiding my bank account and borrowing from a friend. So I'm going to go into the negatives in my bank account. But did I mention I get to live indoors? November is so hard for me every year. But in December I should be on time; I go back to my normal paycheques (sans AAA dues--which hilariously is listed as 'Flower Fund' on my pay stubs) and I'm working an average of 23 to 26 hours at the store, for a total of 43-46 hours per week. Anyway, I've dodged eviction twice in one month. That's enough for me. Here's to going back to being able to pay on time and keeping the house tidy.

I'm really sore and tired. There were only two of us at the store (usually there are three on truck night) and instead of our normal 25-45 boxes, we got 83. Someone from another, bigger store was filling in for my boss, who was is on vacation. I think she ordered like she would for her store. My boss comes back tomorrow. I think she'll hit the roof, but we got what we could put away. The storage area was particularly difficult, trying to get large, bulky boxes (some heavy) into a small space and keep it all neat, which is why I'm sore. I have only ever thought of walking out of my job there maybe once before; today I seriously considered it. But I need the money a lot. I think it was the perky note asking second shift to get everything put away so my boss will be less stressed tomorrow. But the assistant manager came in to take over tonight and he was really understanding.

Well, I'm going to do some things I need to. I washed dishes earlier today but I still need to fold that laundry, plus work on notes awhile if I can manage to stay awake. I go get a friend in a little while, though. He's excited by the prospect of snow and wants 20 inches. I think he's a loon.

No comments: