Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Goodnight Opus, and goodbye

When I was in college, Bloom County was my favourite comic in the newspaper (well, back then it was in our campus paper, not the city one). I loved the penguin Opus--as did a friend, to whom I gave a stuffed one one year. I am an initiate in the Bill the Cat society (I cannot give details of that moving ceremony, for it is most secret). Then Bloom County ended and life was sad.

But then Opus returned in the eponymous comic strip, this time graduating up to the city paper. And Berkeley Breathed continued to entertain with his creations. But now the comic is retiring, and today was the last strip, and it went out in a way that made this librarian cry. (Okay, I cry at the drop of a hat, but still....)

Be sure to see the last published strip, then go to the Humane Society's web page to see the last frame. Thanks Great Western Dragon from LISNews for the links.

No comments: