Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, November 30, 2008

I don't usually cook

But tonight I made a crock pot full of rice and lentils that should last several days, at least until I get paid again. I did forget to put salt in it, but that can be added later, of course. It's pretty tasty, actually. It has garlic, curry powder, cumin, lemon juice, celery seed, and ginger in it. I'd like to have had some peppers or onions in it, but oh, well. The celery seed is the primary herbal taste, but I really like celery seed. Someone I knew used to make a chicken and dumpling soup with celery seed that I really liked; I should try to figure out how to make a vegetarian version. It would really just mean using different bouillon and leaving out the chicken. I don't think tofu would work that well. Anyway, I'm fuelled up now for a few days. Crock pots are amazing things. You just put the ingredients in, turn them on, and walk away for a few hours. It's kind of like a bread machine. I miss having my bread machine (it died some time ago, and I finally pitched it in the Great Cleaning Purge). I'll have to add bread machine to my list of things to acquire.

PS YKWIA told me I should have gone easy on the celery seed and eliminated the lemon juice, since it just makes vegetable dishes acidic. I'll keep that in mind the next time.

No comments: