Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, May 19, 2006

A generation whose cervical cancer risks will be far lowered

is surely more important than controversies over teenage sexual activity. This isn't a series of injections that will prevent AIDS or any other sexually transmitted disease. All safer sex practices will still have to apply, just as screening will have to continue given that approximately 30% of the current cancer rates will continue.

But can you imagine a world where a silent killer, number two amongst cancers in women, could be largely prevented by a shot or three? If I were a mother, I'd sign my daughter up as soon as it is approved. If I ever decide to have sex again, I'll look into it for myself, since I've fortunately missed HPV and want that to continue. The only bad thing is the cost of $300-$500 for the series, but that's so little compared to the costs of cancer.

But think of the far-reaching aspects of this. What other cancer-causers can we vaccinate against, eventually? Could we actually conquer many different cancers with similar technology? Let's hope so.

In the meantime, I hope that concern for children's health will overcome the oppostion who fears it will spark promiscuity. And I hope the message is loud and clear that if you do have sex, you still need to take precautions against HIV and other potential STDs, because fertility, sanity, and life are all at risk every time someone chooses to have sex. It's not a free pass to do whatever you like. Those days are still long gone, if they ever really existed. But what a wonderful weapon to have in an arsenal against disease!

Cervical Cancer Vaccine Gets Important Backing

No comments: