Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Nice to know

I went to an ophthalmologist yesterday and:
  1. There's no sign of diabetes related issues with my eyes
  2. I have a new prescription for glasses
  3. They offered to take off an annoying skin tag under my right eye
  4. I apparently have an optimal prescription for LASIK surgery, should I ever decide to do it


I don't know why, but surgery on my eyes seems potentially scary. I guess, having always been so nearsighted, I have a real fear of complications and blindness. I always said I'd consider surgery when techniques improved. Now that's come and I have to say the only thing keeping me from doing it would be the cost (about $3000 for both eyes), since I don't think it's covered by my insurance.

Still...to not need glasses. To wake up in the morning to sharp vision, rather than the fuzzy wash of colours I do now...it's very tempting.

The skin tag, also not covered, since it's cosmetic, would only be $150. Not bad, not bad at all. Maybe when I've paid off the car....

PS I passed the bus this morning and it had either broken down or had an incident; there was a police car behind it and the people were standing outside. I'm glad I wasn't in it, although I had a moment where I wanted to pick everyone up and take them to the transit centre, which given the size of a Taurus and the number of people, would have been impractical.

PPS I checked and my insurance covers 15% of Lasik, and another plan we have covers up to 25%; that's about $500-$750 savings. Hmmmm.....

No comments: