Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, May 15, 2006

Thousands of Smiles, Thousands of Personalities...Gone

Casualties in Iraq, along with statistics from Afghanistan
Iraq Body Count, reported civilian deaths

I have opposed this war from the get-go. I still oppose it. I have utmost respect for those who put their lives on the line every day, but have no respect for those politicians who send them to die in another land without proper reason and equipement. I think it's important to look at both the military and civilian cost, and to remember that these are not just vapid numbers...each one represents a loved one, a life, a unique person lost in the shuffle of conflict. It frustrates me as a child of the Vietnam era that we have learnt nothing from history and yet again we're in a conflict without a clear plan or exit strategy. It makes me sad and disgusted all at once. For those who have lost someone special to them, you have my deepest sympathy. I only hope that we can bring the troops home safely without destabilising the area of conflict further. There has to be a solution to this, but for most of us, there is nothing to do but wait till it all plays out. But if enough of us make a stir, those in charge have to hear eventually.

Right?

No comments: