Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, May 22, 2006

That's good to know

Barbaro 'Brighter' After Surgery, But Vet Warns Horse Suffered Extensive Injuries In Preakness Race

I was at work, so I heard by word-of-mouth about rather than actually saw the shocking beginning to the Preakness in which Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro's leg was broken in several places. I'm glad they were able to do surgery, but of course how he responds to the confinements that will be placed on him and whether he heals properly will really make a difference as to whether he'll eventually stand stud or have to be euthanised. I hope certainly for the former. It's a shame that once again there will be no bid for the Triple Crown.

Thoroughbreds are so high-strung, so fragile in many ways, despite being large, powerful animals. I have to wonder, as my friend Brenda suggested, if they're being overbred to be more likely to break down. I don't know enough about the business to know, really. I've always been a horsey-girly-girl in terms of reading horse stories, etc., but I've only been on one--at age three--and I've never learnt to ride, even though I live right in the middle of horse country. I would like to learn, but on the other hand, I have to admit I'm a little afraid of the size of horses. I don't know how I'd do up on one. Plus, I'm really, really allergic to them. :( So maybe I should just worship them from afar. :)

No comments: