Translate

Saturday, September 19, 2026

So exhausted from my first half-week, but recovering this weekend

Two things I have discovered about state employment: they love to use acronyms, and they appreciate a comfy chair.

I was so tired the first day that I fell asleep by 7:30 PM. I'd done an in-home sleep the night before and slept badly, so I wasn't at my best. But it was mostly orientation, paperwork, and a physical. The next two days, I was able to stay up later, although I'm trying to get on a schedule where I start heading to bed by 9 PM so I'll be in bed by 10 so I can get up at 5 AM or 5:30. It takes about 45 minutes to get there because, while I live in the same town, I am directly on the opposite side of town. So I have to leave by 7 AM. This gives me plenty of time to shower and get ready without having to dash around like a mad thing. I might even be able to make the bed. 😊

All of the coworkers I have met have been very helpful and welcoming. They seem to want me to succeed, and I appreciate having that sort of environment. I've already been told I might be able to go to the Kentucky Library Association conference in October because it's before a scheduled intensive training I have to complete before I'm really allowed to be on my own, so it wouldn't be a disruption at all. I just need to send an email (they're still setting that up) and get final approval. I'll have to take it unpaid since I don't have time built up yet — same for a couple of appointments I have next week, of course. I have the conference covered, but I'll have to check on hotel availability. It's two days in Louisville, and I'd rather not make two trips back-to-back. I'm excited. I may have been to a state conference in Lexington years ago, but I'm not sure. I never had a travel budget at my last library. I've never been to a national conference despite being an American Library Association member on and off and being a Medical Library Association member for 20 years or so. Next year the ALA, which I'm a member of, is going to New Orleans in June. I've never been to New Orleans. It's a goal.

Anyway, I'm excited to be in my new role. It's nice to be a librarian again.

No comments: