Translate

Saturday, September 05, 2026

I am so excited!

So yesterday I went to my soon-to-be workplace, had my drug test, and filled out paperwork for my background check. Apparently, the Personnel Cabinet does one (which I passed), and then Corrections does a more intensive one as well that includes things like running me through FBI databases and other criminal databases to make sure I have not committed crimes involving domestic violence or sexual assault. So that should not be a problem.

Everything went smoother this time. The guard at the gate kept my ID and issued me a visitor's pass. The prison building is originally from the late 19th century. They were part of a juvenile correctional facility for a very long time. The administration building has lots of little rooms with rooms inside of rooms, as one did back then. Definitely not open plan. I did have the bright idea to leave my purse in the car to make things simpler, so I just had my keys with me, and then realised I'd left my reading glasses in my purse, which was stupid, as I was filling out paperwork, but I managed with a little squinting.

They think my drug test should be back before my start date. I did ask about hours. The current librarian works 8 AM-4 PM. I may have the option to work 7 AM-3 PM or 7:30 AM-3:30 PM instead, as either will align with the patrons' library hours. They aren't available from 12-1 PM either. I haven't decided what to ask for. Knowing my tendency to have issues waking up, 8 AM-4 PM makes more sense, but 7:30 AM-3:30 PM would be ideal in many ways because 1) I could open the library before the patrons came in and then close after everyone left, but not a whole hour after, and 2) I'd get home by 4 or 4:30, depending on traffic, but might actually be able to do late appointments in town, too. It's funny, no matter what time I enter on Google Maps for the drive from home to Blackburn while avoiding highways, it gives me 23-55 mins. This time I approached from Georgetown Road, so I turned onto Spurr Road from a different direction than when I came from Leestown Road last time, and let me tell you, that road is winding and hilly and a perfect country road where you don't want to meet a tractor. I'm not sure if there are farms out there. It looks like they're building houses, but some of it looked like farmland. The prison itself has a 100-acre rehabilitative horse farm. There's also the WUKY radio station nearby, apparently, as well as the RISE STEM Academy for Girls. Otherwise, there's not much else. It's a winding two-lane road. I was trying to imagine it in snow and ice.

Also, I found out the current librarian isn't so much leaving as she has a new position within the system, so not only will she be available to train me, but she can also answer questions after I take over. That's definitely a plus. So often it's sink or swim in a new position. This will help immensely.

I did ask about what I couldn't bring with me. All bags have to be clear. I ordered a clear backpack and lunch bag, and they're on their way. I can't bring glass dishes, and my lunch containers are glass, so I'm going to try to get a plastic Bento box-type thing to go in the bag.

Electronics, of course. I can't have my phone or smartwatch on me. They can stay in the car. I didn't wear my watch yesterday until I came home. I did use the phone for GPS, so I had to leave it in the car, and it was crazy hot, so I hated that. But usually that's what the staff do. I ordered a cheap watch that tells time and has unobtrusive alarms I can set for reminders. I mainly need one for my afternoon medication: one medicine plus iron and vitamin C. But I don't want to be lugging my morning meds in, so I'm going to try to make time to take those before I leave.

Which means I need to get up earlier and go to bed earlier. I got up early yesterday, before I knew they were going to ask to move my appointment from 10 AM to noon, to see how long it took me to get ready, and with everything--and not a mad dash, but deliberately doing everything to get ready- it was about two hours. Add an hour for driving. I'd have to get up at about 5 AM or a little earlier to really do well, or shower the night before maybe. I may make a list out every morning to make sure I don't forget, too. I have an electronic one where I can just erase the checkmarks each night to make sure I did everything. If I want to get 7 hours sleep, I'll need to go to bed by 10 PM. This will be very hard for me. I'm a 12:30 AM-1 AM bedtime sort of gal. But I'm going to try hard to do it. Thursday I did at 11 PM. Yesterday was different--I picked a friend up at 11 PM; I went to bed at 1:30 AM. Considering I got up at 5:45 AM today, that was not enough. My plan is to get on a better sleep schedule between now and the 16th.

I'll figure it out. I don't want to sleep-deprived a work, especially my first few days!

No comments: