Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, February 04, 2023

Well, I guess I need to go back to pricking my fingers for awhile

I have a Dexcom G6 continuous glucose monitor, which is an absolute godsend, as I can check my receiver, phone, or watch at any given time to see what my blood sugar is, and make good decisions in terms of my insulin and carbs based on that, as well as receiving alerts when my glucose goes down or is very high. An alarm will wake me up if my blood sugar tanks in the night. I love this.

Sensors last for 10 days; transmitters last for 90. My last sensor expired today, and I don't have replacements because my durable medical equipment provider (Byram Healthcare) [which usually does well, but I've had a couple of times now that it's gotten hung up, probably during authorisation] didn't communicate properly with my endocrinologist's office, apparently sending their request for clinical notes to the wrong fax number, and per my doctor's nurse, they never received the request or the form that is required. The fax number has made it's way to Byram thanks to another phone call from me, so the ball is in their court. But it's frustrating. I get that they need the prescription, but I got a notice back in the middle of December that it was time to order, and did, and they didn't act on it in a timely manner as far as I can see, and they cancelled the order when they did not hear from my doctor, so I had to reorder to get the ball rolling again.

As it turns out, even if this hadn't happened, I couldn't put my sensor on at the moment, because I have an abdominal MRI elastography in six days, and the sensor can't be on my body, as it would be fried by the magnets. That's all fine, but I hoped to have more sensors for immediately after the MRI. Once they are finally shipped, it will take 5-7 business days to get to me. The last time this happened it took a month to sort out and I didn't have my monitoring sensors for two weeks.

It's frustrating. Now I'm going to have to go back to pricking my fingers a few times a day or if I feel funny, and there's always that chance my blood sugar will dip at night, so I'm going to check before bed. I'm also not supposed to drive if it's under 100 per my doctor, so I may check then, too. The other day I went to leave work and my glucose was 71, and my supervisor had to give me chocolate because I only had two glucose tablets with me. I've fixed that, but still. It's a lot more work to manage things.

No comments: