Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

It shouldn't come as a surprise that I am once again


supporting Dennis Kucinich for President.

Why?

His Ten Key Issues

Universal Health Care
International Cooperation: US out of Iraq, UN in
Jobs and Withdrawal from NAFTA and WTO
Repeal of the "Patriot Act"
Guaranteed Quality Education, Pre-K Through College
Full Social Security Benefits at Age 65
Right-to-Choose, Privacy and Civil Rights
Balance Between Workers and Corporations
Environmental Renewal and Clean Energy
Restored Rural Communities and Family Farms

Among other things he's very enviromentally driven, very much for human rights, and also incidentally supports gay marriage, an issue dear to my heart. He's getting the most press, of course, because he does not support the war in Iraq. He's also for universal health care. Basically I agree with most of his stances, although I'm sure they'd meet a great deal of resistance from certain camps. And I don't know how well America will warm to an underdog vegan meditating Croatian/Irish-American Congressman with a British wife who has the audacity to propose a Department of Peace. Nor is he the most physically stunning of the bunch, and goodness knows Americans often fall for looks when deciding such things. But...I like his ideas, and they fall closest to my morals and beliefs for what the leader of a responsible country should tout. And it should be the stances and issues that count, not looks.

Here's his announcement for his candidacy:



and his wife Elizabeth talking about appropriations supporting the war:



and it doesn't hurt that he'd like to see Cheney impeached, either. :) The only issue I'm so-so on is decriminalising marijuana. I can see both sides of that debate. But everything else...is right on, from what I've read.

Now, do I believe he'll be nominated?--not really. He's too far on the left for the Democratic Party to give him the nod, I think. But at least for the primary, I'm voting for him, because he's closest to my conscience. And really, that's the best thing we can do, is vote our conscience. And if by some miracle he does get the nomination, then I say Kucinich all the way.

For more on Dennis Kucinich, check out his Wikipedia article.

No comments: