Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

An article from Medscape

(free with registration),What Is Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)?, calls into question the blanket diagnosis of ADHD, looking at alternative reasons for the collection of symptoms and questioning who should be making the diagnosis and follow treatment (primary care physicians/psychiatrists, etc.). It isn't dismissing the symptoms, but rather states that (they discuss in only in children) in labelling children with ADHD there may be psychological, emotional, and physical needs not being addressed, and that it is imperative to customise treatment per the individual child's needs rather than simply with medication.

In my own experience, the symptoms of ADHD were certainly pervasive enough to warrant treatment (although I did fairly well in school as a child, because it was the only thing I really had to focus on...my deficiencies really became apparent once I was out of a heavily structured environment and into college). Treatment has made quite a bit of difference. But I also have a lot of comorbid psychological issues, including OCD, anxiety, a past history of depression, and borderline personality disorder. Could it be the symptoms are actually by-products of one or more of them? Sure. But I do know that the ADDerall and Abilify I take for the cognitive issues really do help me in my daily life (a friend refers to them as my 'smart medicine', without which I can't seem to think clearly, because there's too much distraction going on in my head. Not voices, mind you, more the mind spin of OCD, racing thoughts, etc. The Paxil and Buspar help with my mood imbalance, keeping me on an even keel, where I can feel the depth of my emotions without them overwhelming me. Something as simple as taking my medicine late (like in the morning, after I'm supposed to take it at night) upsets the balance and I get emotional and have small break downs. If I take everything as prescribed (which I usually do), it works perfectly, and I feel 'normal'--not drugged, or lethargic, or hyper, just like me.

But I'm also in therapy with a licensed clinical social worker and under monitoring by a psychiatrist, which probably isn't a bad idea for children who are struggling with ADHD, as there's a lot of social skills and coping mechanisms they can learn to help minimise some of the problems.

Anyway, the article makes some interesting points. If you or a family member are dealing with ADHD, you might want to check it out.

No comments: