Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, June 04, 2002

Things you do as part of your job that they never taught you in library school...



I learned how to make cotton candy today. It was actually quite fun. We're running an employee appreciation week with a carnival theme. Yesterday we all got really great fleece blankets with a carry strap that are great for picnics, Shakespeare in the Park, etc. Today we had snowcones and cotton candy. Tomorrow's volleyball, popcorn, and sodas. Thursday there's a cookout and carnival. I'm running the ping pong ball into the fish bowl game. Friday we're doing a drawing for ice cream cakes, and Saturday we're going as a group to a Lexington Legends (minor league baseball--they were champions in their league last season, their first!) game, with a catered picnic. Summer's a great time to be at our workplace. It's been so hot and muggy, they're going to let us wear suitable shorts on Wednesday and Thursday and jeans on Friday. I'm on the committee, and we've really tried to make it fun.

I don't have a normal workplace, I suppose. :) Later in the month there's a beach party aimed at the kids where the staff joins in, too. No super soakers this year. :( We would always start with little water guns and someone would bring out the super soaker, and then someone would bring out the hose. Last year I was in the dunking booth and got a kid with a great arm; he'll probably be a major league pitcher someday. My fondest memories are usually from the employee appreciation/beach party moments. My absolute favourite was of a little girl riding on a very large chair with a super soaker maniacally chasing us. I mean, really, that's what it's all about--helping kids have as full a life as possible, even if we do wind up soaked in the process. :)

Well, I'd better go. I am at friend's house and need to catch the bus back and backup as much on my computer as possible in preparation for the reformat/reinstall tomorrow. Take care.

No comments: