Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, June 05, 2002

So what is it about Arkansas???



Taking a lead from Zabet, I took a quiz at findyourspot.com to see where I should live. Here are the results:

1. Little Rock, Arkansas Where America Comes Together
2. Salisbury, Maryland Maryland’s Secluded Retreat
3. Fayetteville, Arkansas Light of the Ozarks
4. Charleston, West Virginia The Home of Hospitality
5. Frederick, Maryland Where The Past Comes Alive
6. Alexandria, Louisiana The Crossroads of Louisiana [Incidentally, I moved here when I was four days old, to live at England Air Force Base]
7. Hot Springs-Hot Springs Village, Arkansas America’s Natural Spa
8. Baltimore, Maryland The Sparkling Harbor City
9. Portland, Oregon City of Roses
10. Shreveport-Bossier City, Louisiana Cities of Three Flags [and I grew up here, from age 6-12, at Barksdale Air Force Base]
11. Eugene, Oregon The Emerald City
12. Eureka Springs, Arkansas Playground of the Ozarks [I dunno, my ex always wanted to take me there to the passion plays]
13. Corvallis, Oregon Heart of the Willamette Valley
14. Salem, Oregon The Heart of Oregon
15. Holiday Island, Arkansas Where Every Day is a Holiday [I despise planned communities (at least if they have all those rules, anyway)]
16. Las Cruces, New Mexico City of the Sun
17. Cherokee Village, Arkansas Vacation Living at its Best
18. Baton Rouge, Louisiana The Cajun Capital
19. Heber Springs-Greers Ferry Lake, Arkansas A Natural Paradise [Cardboard races? On the lake?]
20. New Orleans, Louisiana The Crescent City
21. Milwaukie, Oregon City of Dogwoods
22. Mountain Home/Bull Shoals, Arkansas Gateway to the Ozarks
23. Monroe, Louisiana Twin Cities of the South
24. Gaithersburg, Maryland The Park City

I will say that some of the finest people I ever met were in Arkansas. Our radiator went out near Hope and not only did the guy fix our car, he called his wife to take my mom and me out shopping while we were waiting. I suspect they would have put us up in their home if the repairs had taken longer.

The quiz seemed to ignore my whole 'heat okay without humidity' answer. I remember Louisiana well. Funny how a lot of the suggestions seemed to come from a desire for history, culture, and small town feel in a decent-sized community. I think that's what I got here, at least if you add in Louisville and Cincinnati....Hmmm...

No comments: