Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, July 23, 2016

This made me feel better

YKWIA and I saw The Secret Life of Pets today. Thank goodness I had pre-purchased tickets (they're not exactly passes, but they count towards an entire ticket, because they're pre-bought and do not expire). I also used one for the concession to get a junior popcorn and small diet cola. (YKWIA got the larger versions on his own). So I figure we saved $16 getting into the movies (who knew matinees had gone up to $8 a pop? It's obviously been awhile since I went to the cinema.) I saved another $10 or so on the concession. So I'm happy--I went to the movies and it didn't cost me a cent, and YKWIA got in for free, too. I get the tickets from work every year (at least the movie ones, the concession ones were unusual) for our employee appreciation. I have four more tickets plus one concession one. So I'm good when Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and Sing come out, the next ones I want to see.

Anyway, the movie was delightful. They had the animal behaviour down so well. The story centres on Max, a Jack Russell terrier who is dismayed when his mistress brings home a stray Newfoundland named Duke. Max and Duke wind up getting lost in the city, come up against a vorpal bunny and his minions in a scary version of the Island of Misfit Toys, while his friends try to find him. It's fast-paced and fun, and I have to admit I cried at the end, and even YKWIA teared up (but you didn't hear that from me). The voice cast was excellent. And let me tell you, that is one tenacious Pomeranian. Some critics have compared it to Toy Story's formula, and I guess that's fair, but it's done really well. I would highly recommend it. And you'll never look at your pet the same way again.

Here are the trailers:

No comments: