Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Home from the weekly Call of Cthulhu game

that I've been playing for almost 25 years. Wow. 25 years. That's scary. We started back in July of 1991 and while players have changed and storylines have taken bizarre turns, I still remember that first adventure, 'The Auction', where we went from normal folks at Miskatonic University to became ninjas with mystical powers there in Arkham. We're still going strong, and our characters have kids and mundane issues that are far worse at times than tentacled horrors. But it's fun to role play (really role play, not the stuff you do in a computer game or for that matter in some dungeon-crawling paper-and-dice games). The game master is brilliant, and he has meshed dozens of games into a coherent whole while maintaining the spirit of Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, which is one reason we keep coming back week after week to some new horror. Or maybe it's masochism. Same difference. But most importantly, it's fun, and a great creative outlet for which I am very thankful.

It's been a decent day so far. I did laundry, worked on my friends' house, and then Brenda came over and we played till about 8 pm. I did pretty well with the whole Daylight Savings Time in terms of getting over there in time, especially considering I had my laundry, my book bag, a lunch bag, a two litre of soda, the laptop, and a very heavy bag with two 6.6 lb weights for A, some ankle weights for him to borrow, a book on fitness to borrow, a tote bag for him, and some envelopes for YKWIA. That bag was pretty darn heavy. Hopefully I will be able to get up on time tomorrow when I get ready for work. I've been getting up earlier lately anyway, so that may help.

That's it, I guess. We're planning something big for next game, a ritual to remove some conditioning from a non-player character who has been psychically programmed to kill her husband (one of Brenda's characters). And probably in the next game or two my character will find out she is pregnant with twins. Ah, good times. I think I'll go read for awhile; I have some books due at the library tomorrow and the new Eastside branch won't open until Tuesday, so I'll either renew or take them to Tates Creek, which I'll be near anyway. I'm going to look them over and decide which to do. Good night.

No comments: