Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, March 24, 2016

The last two days have been rather frustrating

Last evening, a little before 6 pm, I took A to T-Mobile to answer a question about his phone. When we left, my car wouldn’t start. Now, it’s been doing this thing where it’ll be fine in the morning, and maybe on a couple of trips, but on days when I’m making several small trips it can get slower to crank each time and eventually just stop. Lights come on, nothing happens. Then in about 5 or 10 minutes, it’ll start right back up.

Yesterday, however, I went straight over to their house, got A, and went to T-Mobile. No other trips since I’d left work. And it wouldn’t do anything when we came out, anything at all. After 5 minutes, nothing. 10, nada. 15, I called roadside assistance, the first time I’ve done so with this service through my insurance. They were very nice, took down my information, and dispatched a tow truck. I was going to have them take me a block down the road to Tire Discounters, because while it is probably a starter issue, there could be something with the battery and electrical system, and they sold me the battery recently. After I got a text telling me the ETA was an hour, I tried the car one more time, and it started up, and while it wasn’t enthusiastically, it started. So, I called roadside assistance back, cancelled to distress call, and then (keeping a person in the car at all times and running the engine the whole time):
  1. Took A to get a couple of books of stamps at Kroger’s (and talked to the tow truck driver and explained that the car had started)
  2. Went to the library to pick up a CD I’d had on hold
  3. Drove to Gumbo Ya Ya and used their card to get them food, and my card to get me some
  4. Drove to their house, where I locked the door while the car ran (thankfully, because a bad transponder key can be the problem as well, I’d brought my extra key with me—neither of which worked when it wasn’t starting)
  5. Picked up my backpack and laptop (I’d left everything there except my wallet and phone) and headed home
As I backed out of their driveway, the gas light came on, and at that point I was just praying to get home. I did, got everything in the house, at my Cajun food, called them to let them know I was okay, talked on the phone for awhile, and then headed for bed. I’d had enough of the day.

I didn’t really sleep well last night. I should have taken some ibuprofen for my wrist. I also didn’t take my Lantus, which meant my blood sugar was higher this morning than it has been in quite some time.

As far as this morning went, I’d gotten my refund from the federal government (small and paltry compared to the usual, but something, at least), and YKWIA had offered to loan me any additional money I needed to fix the car, so I got up early and was there at Tire Discounters when they opened. Unfortunately, the mechanic who diagnoses such problems (and with starting problems, it can be a host of things), was not going to be there today. I have to take someone to an appointment tomorrow, so I can’t do it then. So I had them put me down for Saturday and will try this again. Fortunately, the car started back up (I’d also stopped for a bit of gas before going over there, figuring that the Kroger fuel centre was next door, and we could probably push my car if needed rather than getting it towed for about 20 feet, if they’d be okay with that). Then I headed to work, got there a half-hour early as a result, and it started right up when I left today. But I wasn’t taking any chances, so I just came straight home.

I haven’t been home at this time of day in quite some time. Granted, it’s raining, so I don’t have the usual sun streaming in, and I have the lights on, but it’s good to be home. Still, looking around, my poor plants really need water, the living room needs some attention, the bedroom is a wreck, and the dining room and kitchen need some help, too. I need to take the trash and recyclables out, and it’s rainy and icky, so I may see if it clears up any in an hour or two.

For now I’m going to eat a veggie burger (I have some nice Mediterranean chickpea burgers from Morningstar Farms) and then go from there. Oh, and I definitely want to work on the game notes some more tonight. I got a good start on Monday, but tomorrow is the appointment (which is usually short enough it’s not worth taking the laptop), followed by ‘Grimm’ night. I don’t want to wait until Saturday. It would be better to just get it out of the way and be able to relax a little then. Okay, I’m going to go. I may write later tonight. >br/>
What am I saying? I'll be at the repair shop most of the day Saturday; I can probably take the laptop and get anything left finished. But, it would be nicer to get it taken care of tonight, and then I'd be able to read while they're working on my vehicle, right?

No comments: