Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, July 30, 2015

So did anyone actually get Windows 10 today?

Not me. On one computer, I have an error explaining that my graphics card isn't compatible, when it probably is, but even though I put in another graphics card, the compatibility report doesn't refresh for up to a month, according to their FAQ. A month? Really? I went through the Microsoft website and found a way to make the compatibility program run under task scheduler, but it didn't change anything. So it keeps telling me I can't upgrade because of a card that isn't active. The other computer keeps saying that it hasn't run the report yet, but will get around to it eventually (isn't that nice, and maybe two weeks ago it would have flown, but it's release day and it won't even tell me if my computer is compatible?) Both computers have the necessary update to have the program run a report correctly. It just isn't updating it's compatibility information, and so no upgrade.

It has thus been an extremely frustrating day for me, Microsoft. You suck majorly at times, and this is one of them. Of course, Best Buy offered to upgrade my computer for $30 a pop. The whole point of Windows 10 is that it is supposed to be a better operating system, and oh, yeah, free. It's not supposed to be this difficult. I'm not a tech genius, but I'm competent enough to handle many software issues and install/configure some hardware. But right now, in this moment, I am almost too irritated to sleep. Thank you, Microsoft.

No comments: