Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, July 04, 2015

I just got back from the fireworks

They were a lot of fun. I'd been working on the game notes for two-and-a-half hours when I took a break, grabbed some Taco Bell (I went in, although I was getting take out, and got behind a very large family). Then I headed over to the hospital with my blanket, my dinner, and my badge (to get to park in our parking lot rather than along the road). I was seated by a family with a young girl who was terrified of bugs, including lightning bugs, despite my reassurances that they would not harm her, and that lightning bugs are friendly bugs like ladybugs. She was spastically looking for them all around. She asked me what the Fourth of July was about, and I told her. She thought Abraham Lincoln was our first president, and I gently dissuaded her of this. (I'd say she was maybe in first grade, or about to be.) Her grandmother got a call before the fireworks began, and I gather they had to go pick someone up, but she waited until about halfway through the show to make them all pick up their stuff and leave, and they'd really been into it. If they'd waited about 10 minutes, it would have been over, but instead she just kind of yanked them out of there. I felt sorry for them. There was also a toddler who kept running up to me. :) For all that I'm not really much for kids, there is a certain tendency among toddlers to about three years old to just run up to me and hug me. On the other side of me were a bunch of teenage boys, at least one whom let go of some fireworks (they're not allowed, but I did see a lot of sparklers, but this was full on firecrackers or something similar). Fortunately, they settled down during the show, although someone nearby was smoking a cigar, which was a problem for me. But I didn't let it bother me. There at the end I was having trouble with those brown scarab-like beetles you see so much of at night around here, crawling on me and my hair. I'd thought I'd gotten it off me. But after the show (and it was a nice display), I went out the back, carefully, as people were not using good sense in how they were walking, and then went to the Chinoe Kroger for a few things, including game snacks. I went through the store, to the bathroom, back out to the car, got home unloaded everything, and wouldn't you know the scarab flew off my hair as soon as I turned on the bedroom light and played around it for awhile. I'm not sure where it is, now.

Okay, I still have a lot to do on the game notes. I started them early enough, but we actually went right into the game last week without chatter and pretty much I've had to go ahead and put almost all of what's recorded in. It should ease up a bit now that I've reached the point where we defeated the warlocks in the department store, but I've got at least 3 1/2 hours of recording left, so maybe two hours left of transcribing. :( So I'd better go back to that. Happy Fourth of July, though! I hope those of you out there who celebrate had a really good time, and a safe one!

No comments: