Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, August 03, 2012

'Isn't that what women do during movies?'

One of my friends called me over something earlier and as we were saying goodbye, he said something to the extent of 'have fun, enjoy the movie (Desk Set), eat popcorn, paint your toenails, isn't that what women do when they watch a movie?'

Well, I haven't watched the movie yet, but I did enjoy in some old-fashioned girly nail painting. I won't post a picture here (proof of my lack of Friday night action), but it's a pretty pearlescent bluish-purple with a teal sheen, and I did both fingernails and toenails. I wear nail polish once in a blue moon, so this was fun. I tend to not like the 'feel' of painted nails, but ever since I stopped biting my nails as a kid, and once I got through my student days where lack of decent food made my nails break all the time (mine are still not particularly strong), and now that I'm no longer opening lots of boxes like I did at the gas station, I have pretty nails, and I might as well enjoy them. They've been growing fairly long, but I've been reining them in because if they get too long it's hard to type, put my contacts in, or use my tablet. :) I still don't understand how ladies do stuff with huge, long nails. There's a bus driver (or used to be) at LexTran, who used to drive the buses with these vinyl gloves on. It took me awhile to realise she had nails of doom and was protecting them. Again, don't get it, but hey, if it made her happy while dealing with the stresses of her job, okay.

No comments: