Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, August 03, 2012

I see this (and to a certain extent do this) daily

although I do move my bag if the seats are getting scarce and let someone sit down, then 50% of the time ignore them blankly. Still, I do chat with other riders on occasion and as the mood hits me. I would not survive in New York, and I would be quickly labelled a target, because I'm not inured to commuting to the point of ignoring all aspects of my fellow travellers. :) Of course, as the researcher points out, we don't really ignore them--we take great pains to appear to.

Strangers On a Bus: Study Reveals Lengths Commuters Go to Avoid Each Other
Kim found that the greatest unspoken rule of bus travel is that if other seats are available you shouldn't sit next to someone else. As the passengers claimed, "It makes you look weird." When all the rows are filled and more passengers are getting aboard the seated passengers initiate a performance to strategically avoid anyone sitting next to them.

No comments: