Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, August 09, 2012

I have a new gadget

It's the Targus AKB33US Bluetooth keyboard.  I'm using it to type this entry on my tablet.  This is actually quite a nice little keyboard. You just have to remember that the backspace is in the upper right corner and is smaller than the delete key, which is right under it. Some people have complained about that, but really it's not hard to adjust.

So far it's staying connected with no problem.  The first time you connect, you turn the Bluetooth on your device on, turn on the keyboard, press the connectivity button, and it 'discovers' the keyboard.  You type in the numbers indicated on the screen, and then you're connected.  After that, the device remembers the keyboard and you don't have to type in the numbers.  Or at least that's how it works with an Android device.

The on/off switch is on the bottom of the keyboard and therefore it might be harder to remember to turn off the keyboard when finished.  The keyboard takes two 'AAA' batteries. The ones that came with mine were Toys R' Us brand, which I thought funny. :)

What the keyboard didn't come with was any sort of guide, but I had already found that on the Targus website before I ordered, when I was trying to find out if it was compatible with my device.  According to Targus, it is compatible with any Android device running Android OS version  2.3.  It is also compatible with the iPad and several other types of tablets as well, so it's not just for Android tablets.

The feel to the tablet is pretty decent; it's easy to type on, and isn't too sensitive or not enough.  I highly recommend it. And at $35 from Amazon (as opposed to the $60 I found elsewhere), it's much less than getting a laptop I do not really need.

Supposedly you can type from up to 30 feet away. I'm not sure why you would want to, but it's nice that it doesn't have to be right at the device to do anything.

It would have been nice to have some sort of case for it; fortunately I have something it will fit in.  Some keyboards come with a stand for the tablet; this one doesn't, but then my cover for my tablet stands, so I didn't need one.  So I'm pretty happy with my purchase.


No comments: