Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Well, cleanup has been accomplished and the pies have about 20 minutes left

The crust isn't the prettiest, but it looks like it's going to be tasty, so I might lose points on presentation and get some elsewhere. Brandon suggested that since I had enough ingredients, I do two pies to determine if it comes out okay, that way I can taste one. I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the pie in that case, but hey. I guess I can take it later in on Friday for the lunch crew. I used up all the bourbon in the tiny airplane bottle. The crust recipe was for two crusts, but I had to double the recipe for the custard, so instead of putting a whole thing of bourbon in, I made two batches. Each has a little over 2 Tbsp. of bourbon in it.

It was nice to bake again. I did have to bring out my mixer to get the custard smooth. I'm not used to doing custards, and despite the fact that the ingredients were the same for each, the nutmeg clumped a bit on one (that'll probably be the one I keep in reserve). Amazingly, I got very little on me, and could have done it wearing pearls and one of those poufy 50s dresses as long as I had an apron. Cleanup wasn't too hard, either. I put the dishes that could be run through the dishwasher in there, washed all the hand washables, wiped down the counters and worktable. So there's just waiting till midnight, putting a knife in to see if they're done, and if not, cook about 10 more minutes. Then I'll let them cool and taste the one and wrap it up, and put the other in the covering that came with the pie pans (a top cover locks into a bottom plastic plate with the aluminium pie plate inside).

I went ahead and got some of those Sparkling Ice drinks, too, and I've tried the orange-mango and coconut-pineapple, and can give two thumbs' up for them.

I think I'll be staying up for awhile with the pies. It makes for a good day that I didn't just come home and crash, which means I can obviously stay up. I fall asleep when I'm bored or trying to avoid other things (like cleaning house or doing laundry).

PS While I was at UK today I got a UK library card. I didn't check anything out, but it's nice to be able to. :)

No comments: