Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, April 09, 2012

'The Hunger Games' ignites the ALA's list of most challenged books

Reasons given: '"anti-ethnic; anti-family; insensitivity; offensive language; occult/satanic; violence"'. Huh? Violence I get; but having made it through three-quarters of Mockingjay I think I can say that Collins handles the violence very decently, much better than the average TV show. Would I want my six-year-old reading it? Probably not. But for the age group it's geared to, it's fine. Really.

What I love is that there are people who don't even read the books that complain.
Barbara Jones, director of the ALA's Office for Intellectual Freedom, told the Associated Press that many of the complaints leveled against "The Hunger Games" books focused on the film version directed by Gary Ross. "There was complaining about the choice of actors for the film," she said. "You had people saying someone was dark-skinned in the book, but not in the film, or dark-skinned in the film and not in the book. In general, a lot more people were aware of the books and that led to more kinds of complaints."

No comments: