Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, April 05, 2012

Five and a half hours later...

I woke up cold because it's 47 degrees outside, the windows were open, and I had a fan going full speed. I'd taken some ibuprofen for my feet and a headache I hadn't realised I had that was bordering on being a migraine (I had some sensitivity to light), as well as my normal foot medication, and after about forty-five minutes of easing discomfort fell asleep, only to wake up just now.

It was ambitious to think I could work on the house after running around all day on the bus, which is pretty tiring, even if you're used to riding it. In all I was out eight hours, rode five buses, dealt with the crowds at the mall (not Christmas-crowds, but the kids are on spring break and there were a lot of people there, even in the middle of the day), saw a rather long movie by today's standards (2 hours, 22 minutes), and was in quite a bit of pain there towards the end. So I guess it's no wonder I slept. Plus, as one friend would put it, it's what I do so well.

So, the house has been postponed till Saturday, which I'm going to do my best to reserve for staying home and getting things in order. I spent most Saturdays in the the past couple of months over at other people's houses, cleaning or helping with various things. One Saturday at home won't hurt anybody. And frankly I think it'll be an all day thing. The amount of laundry alone is mind-boggling. :)

Okay, I'm going to read a little and then head back to bed. I'll try to give you a quick review of the movie right now. Overall, let me say, it was very good, although I really think it helps a person to understand exactly what's going on if you've read the book. There were four minor things that they changed that annoyed, but not terribly: 1) the origin of the mockingjay pin (but I understand that one), 2) the timing of the bread episode (really, you couldn't find someone to play the younger Peeta and Katniss?), 3) the response in district 11 (the most egregious), and 4) the forms in the muttations attack (minor, but important). I did enjoy getting a look behind the Games at how it was put on and accomplished. I also thought Donald Sutherland made a particularly menacing President Snow, although I pictured a very different physical look. Also, I think the actors for Cinna, Rue, and Thresh were dead on perfect for the roles, despite the racist outcries on the part of some fans. Cato was particularly menacing. I was very sceptical of Woody Harrelson as Haymitch, but he did rather well. They also did a very good job with the Capitol people in general. Everyone did an excellent job. I'd go see it again. But the book is definitely worth reading before you go. Good night.

No comments: