Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Rude awakening

On my fourth alarm (I set four every morning, with the hopes that as they start at 6 am, maybe I'll wake up by 8), I pulled the humidifier that attaches to my CPAP off the stand, although not the CPAP machine itself. (My CPAP machine is a decade or so old--it didn't come with an internal humidifier, so that was added later. It's basically a hotplate with a reservoir, connected by hoses.) Anyway, the air cut out, and water started gurgling down the hose towards me. I got up, trying to find the humidifier, which was hanging off the stand (it's on a platform that is hinged, and the CPAP kept it from coming off entirely). Where I have a queen-sized bed, the hose normally extends far enough but not if I reach too quickly for the phone to turn off the alarm.

So I was up at 7. I've decided to take my lunch today, so I packed some hummus and flatbread, some plain non-fat Greek yoghurt from a large container I put in a smaller one I had around, some blueberries I put in a little container, and some non-sugar added applesauce. Also, I'm having granola cereal for breakfast with blueberries. I haven't had cereal in months, and it's quite tasty. So I think that's a healthy start to the day. I have enough hummus and flatbread I can eat dinner there, as well. I've been spending way too much money eating in the hospital cafeteria.

On top of the healthy eating, I may go for a walk today. It's supposed to be 56 degrees and partly sunny. I have a conference call and a performance appraisal meeting, so I don't know if I'll have time, and of course, my feet can be an issue, although they feel really nice right now. So we'll see.

Okay, I've checked my blood sugar, taken my medicine, packed my lunch, eaten breakfast, checked my e-mail, and so now I have an hour to kill before getting ready for work. I think I'll check up on the librarians whose blogs I follow and the news on Google Reader.

Oh, and one thing I found off the bat, from Morbid Anatomy:

Lost Libraries and Fake Catalogs: A Renaissance Trope Explained, talking about the phenomenon of the Musaeum Clausum (the hidden library). Enjoy.

No comments: