Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, February 04, 2012

I have an awful headache

That I blame on the gaggle of teens who were doing bad rap and clapping and just generally being boisterous to the point of annoyance to an older person (egad, that would be me) who has had a long day and just wants to go home.

I've been going strong since about 8 am. I went to Kroger with Brandon and his kids, each of taking one in those big car shaped carts. After we met up and checked out, a bagger stopped us. He'd bought a couple of those candy bottles with the sucker on top and powdered sugar inside. Apparently the four year old had tried to take them and dad had put them back, and the bagger thought he'd buy them each one. It was a nice gesture, but when the three year old discovered that he could get the top off and fling blue sugar powder all over himself and the van, it was not so good. The four year old was trying to get it off him, patting him down and brushing it off, but that didn't work so she out and out pounded on him, sending up clouds of blue powder much like Pigpen in the Peanuts comic strip. I was laughing, and so glad that I don't have kids. But I must admit, these are pretty decent ones. But I did make a note to self that the little one likes to fling things.

After Kroger, Brandon took me by McDonald's and then to my other friends' house, where I prepared and cooked a nice meal under supervision from about 12:30 pm till 6. Everything turned out wonderful. There was a salad with escarole, spinach, and fennel, with a balsamic vinaigrette, a soup with mushrooms, vegetables, and sour cream, vegetable fritters, and kugel. After everything was put away, I put some missing files on the computer and then caught the bus home (with previously mentioned teenagers on it). I walked home in the misty rain and everything had an ethereal quality to it outside.

I really want to just go to bed, but I still have game notes to do. My headache is subsiding now that I'm in a relatively quiet environment (if you don't count the fish tank). I need to take my medication though, as it's time and my feet are hurting some. I have reached that point in my life where my life revolves around when you take your meds. That's a little depressing. At least we're not up to it being all about bowel movements yet.

Okay, time to go do things, things, horrible things. Take care, and hope you're having a good weekend.

No comments: