Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, November 03, 2011

I fell asleep earlier

but got up to check my insulin and whether I'd gotten paid. The answer to the latter is yes, thankfully, although I'm looking at what I need to pay and there's not much left over. I have to get a couple of medicines, including insulin--which is $50 for a box of pens. Plus rent, a bus pass, and my electric bill. But I should be able to get some food, too. Now the middle of the month is looking much better, which is good, because I'm behind on gifts.

I'm tracking my expenses on my phone. This will be the first month with nearly normal expenses. I'm curious as to how much I actually spend on food, especially at work. It's my main fluctuating expense. That will put me on a better road to a budget.

Today I finished the Elizabeth Peters book Silhouette in Scarlet and checked out the next novel, Trojan Gold. I stopped by the library earlier because I determined that the later Jim Butcher novels, which I have gotten stuck on halfway through the series, are available for Kindle checkout--but I have to get past this one problem story first. I'm stuck on Small Favor, for some reason. Anyway, I went to check it out but someone got it yesterday (I should have checked ahead, I know, but it's not like I went out of my way to go there--it's right where the bus lets me off). So, I requested another copy to be sent over to my branch (I love that the library lets me do that--for someone on the bus, it saves a lot of time not having to go to other branches in search for a book that might be checked out by the time I get there, and one thing about bus riding is that it takes time, at least here in Lexington). I'll probably be able to pick it up Friday or Saturday morning (they'll send it over tomorrow, I expect). So, I'll try again.

Gary Corby's new book, The Ionia Sanction, is coming out next week. The plan is to order it and a friend's birthday present on the next pay day.

I also have a book that was given to me for free so that I could review it. I'll keep mum on that for now. It isn't a professional review--just on someplace like Amazon, etc.

Speaking of professional book reviews, I got another one published, this time in the Journal of the Medical Library Association. Unlike the journal I normally publish in, JMLA is open access, so you can view the review online. That brings the number of publications on my resume to fifteen, and even though they're not scholarly, exactly, for the most part it's been fun, and they range in type quite nicely. Here's a list:

  • Broadbent, LK, 1986 Checklist of Kentucky State Publications. Frankfort, Ky.: KDLA, 1992 (under former name).
  • Rowan, EE. Providing Library Services in a Unique Pediatric Orthopaedic Setting: Experiences at the Shriners Hospitals for Children. Journal of Hospital Librarianship. 5(2). 2005, pp. 65-72.
  • Rowan, E., Library Selector. Doody’s Core Titles in the Health Sciences 2006. Doody Enterprises, Inc., 2006. [Orthopedics]
  • Rowan, E. Medical Librarian, Pediatric Hospital Library. A Day in the Life. Ed. Priscilla K. Shontz and Richard A. Murray . Libraries Unlimited, 2007.
  • Rowan, E., Library Selector. Doody’s Core Titles in the Health Sciences 2007. Doody Enterprises, Inc., 2007. [Orthopedics]
  • Rowan, E., Library Selector. Doody’s Core Titles in the Health Sciences 2008. Doody Enterprises, Inc., 2008. [Orthopedics]
  • Rowan, E., Library Selector. Doody's Core Titles in the Health Sciences 2009. Doody Enterprises, Inc., 2009. [Orthopedics]
  • Rowan, E., Library Selector. Doody's Core Titles in the Health Sciences 2010. Doody Enterprises, Inc., 2010. [Orthopedics]
  • Rowan, E., Library Selector. Doody's Core Titles in the Health Sciences 2011. Doody Enterprises, Inc., 2011. [Orthopedics]
  • Rowan, EE., 'Caring for Patients From Different Cultures, 4th edition Geri-Ann Galanti', Journal of Hospital Librarianship. 10(2), 2010, pp. 205-206.
  • Rowan, EE. 'Document Delivery and Interlibrary Loan on a Shoestring by Emily Knox', Journal of Hospital Librarianship. 10(4), 2010, pp. 420-421.
  • Rowan, EE. 'The Accidental Health Sciences Librarian by Lisa A. Ennis and Nicole Mitchell', Journal of Hospital Librarianship, 11(2), 2011, pp. 204 — 205.
  • Rowan, E. Orthopedics. The Medical Library Association's Master Guide to Authoritative Information Resources in the Health Sciences. Ed. Laurie L. Thompson. Neal-Schuman Publishers, 2011.
  • Rowan, E. Orthopedic Nursing. The Medical Library Association's Master Guide to Authoritative Information Resources in the Health Sciences. Ed. Laurie L. Thompson. Neal-Schuman Publishers, 2011.
  • Rowan, EE. 'Effective Blogging for Libraries by Connie Crosby', Journal of the Medical Library Association. 99(4), 2011, pp. 321-322.
:) Plan for tomorrow:
  1. Get up early.
  2. Go to Kroger. Buy deodorant and a small amount of food.
  3. Go to the bank. Get my rent and quarters.
  4. Go to work.
  5. Come home.
  6. Watch the movie The Last Supper [if it's arrived]. (I watched it years ago but I don't remember the ending well. I remember it involved tomatoes, arsenic, and a bunch of crazy. Here's a link to the trailer (rated R, no watching if you're not old enough, kids)).
  7. Wash dishes.
  8. Read.
PS Did you see today's announcement from Amazon regarding the Kindle Owner's Lending Library for Prime subscribers? They're allowing you to choose from thousands of books, borrowing up to one a month with no due date. They're definitely getting ready for the Kindle Fire, but it makes Prime membership enticing for those of us with e-ink Kindles, too. Basically for $79 a year you get up to 12 free books to read during that time, choosing from thousands of books to borrow, streaming video content on your computer (or Fire), and free two-day shipping. It's not a bad deal for something that comes out to be $6.58 when averaged out per month. Boy if it weren't for that cap of one book to borrow a month, I'd be all over it. But it's still a pretty nice deal when taken as a package.

No comments: