Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, November 21, 2011

I am annoyed at the US Postal Service

I got a present for a friend from Amazon, and ordered a book for me. I normally have these sorts of things sent to the place I work because I have never been able to get parcels sent reliably to the apartment I live in. [Oddly enough, anything I don't anticipate makes it here with no problem, either being delivered to the leasing office or using the system of holding boxes for parcels we have with the postal service.]

But, because I was ordering so close to Thanksgiving, and I won't be at work Thursday or Friday, I had it sent home, because I had been receiving things there enough to try. So today I come home and there's a delivery notice saying the parcel was taken to the post office, which is clear across town and I don't have transportation/can't take the bus within the timeframe they're open and still get to work. So:

There's one of those automatic systems on the phone that you say what you want. I don't play those games, and said 'real person' until it transferred me, although I had to hold. I explained the situation and asked if I could have it redelivered to work, and if so, if it would make it there tomorrow or Wednesday. But you can't change the address it's delivered to. Okay. How about the leasing office? It's not in the same building, although it's the same address, so no. And the holding boxes could be full. Grrr...

We finally came up with a less than ideal solution, and we'll see if it's delivered. Mind you, one, this didn't require a signature or anything, so it shouldn't have been so hard, and two, the postal carrier neglected to put any sort of article number on the card, so there's no way to really track it, and Amazon uncharacteristically has 'shipping soon' on their system still, so we couldn't get to it that way. Essentially they just took my address and telephone number and said they'd redeliver. If all else fails and it goes back again, I might be able to get someone to take me over Friday. But it should not be this hard to get a smallish package delivered to one's home. Thank goodness it wasn't a Kindle Fire or something like that.

No comments: