Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Okay, I really doubt this was a quality study, but it made my little Firefox-using self smile

Internet Explorer Users Are Dumber, Study Shows

Of course, it also came from Fox News. I think a similar study would find some interesting things about their viewers compared to say, the New York Times readers, but that's just my terribly liberal opinion. :)

A company called AptiQuant, a self-proclaimed "world leader in the field of online psychometric testing," published the results of an online study that tested the IQs of users and grouped the results according to which browser respondents used.

The study found that users of Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera were all slightly above average in IQ test results, but Microsoft Internet Explorer users tended to be lower on the IQ scale.

IQ testing is very problematic in person, much less online, so I don't think we can really state the results as being all that great in terms of validity. But it did give me a little wakeup laugh this morning.

PS Laugh not withstanding, my doubts as to the study were indeed confirmed, as it appears to have been a hoax.

Internet Explorer story was bogus


Fox News was just one of the first media giants to jump on the story. Even the BBC and CNN got caught in it. But it still gave me a laugh, this time for two reasons. :)

No comments: