Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, July 29, 2011

I actually watched a bit of TV tonight

YKWIA called me to let me know that the new ThunderCats television series was premiering on Cartoon Network at 8 pm. Now, I was never all that in to ThunderCats (to be honest, I always thought it was a bit silly, but I didn't really follow it enough to know that or not). But I decided to give it a go, and found myself interested in the story. I may even watch it each week; it'll be on at 8:30 on Friday evenings. I thought they did a good job, and the animation was very good. I liked seeing the 'backstory' as to how things came to be, although this seems quite different from the original (I read Wikipedia, which is the only reason I know it's ThunderCats with a capital C.) I still think Mumm-Ra is a bit, well, lame as a bad guy, but not as silly as I'd originally seen him. And Lion-O does still have a silly name, but what's a person to do, change it and make it not ThunderCats? :) I wonder what ThunderCats devotees think of it?

PS Small bit of trivia: according to the Wikipedia article for the original ThunderCats series, the original voice actor for Lion-O in that series is voicing the character of Claudus, his father in the new one. Which might explain why it sounded so darn familiar. I did see the original, but just in piecemeal.

No comments: