Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, July 22, 2011

Fabio? Really? Give me back the real Old Spice Guy

Fabio makes his pitch as 'new Old Spice Guy': Long-tressed model gets his moment in the sun, but Isaiah Mustafa will be back

Sorry, Proctor & Gamble, the long blond tresses don't impress me. They don't do it for me. Of course, I don't read romance novels, so maybe I haven't been conditioned to drool over Fabio.

Isaiah Mustafa, on the other hand, has a wonderful voice, nice body, and seems more genuine. I'm glad he'll be back.

The original commercials were incredibly clever, and took off through the Internet as well as television. But since the eventual goal is to get guys to buy Old Spice, I'm not sure they can as easily identify with an Italian model as an American football player. The second seems, well, more manly in straight-guy-mindset, I think. We'll see. Maybe ladies will swoon and really get their man to smell like Fabio.

No comments: