Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, December 23, 2010

There was this story on the news about how the bus system

was providing a free ride day before yesterday to see the Southern Lights display at the Kentucky Horse Park and then today and tomorrow if 'Santa' is driving the bus, the fare is free. The comments were mostly by grumpy Scrooges who can't stand to pay any tax, and they own their own homes and cars and can't be bothered to support mass transit. Here's my comment:
I happen to be one of those people who rides LexTran nearly everyday and relies upon it to get to work so that I can pay my city/county taxes. Granted, I also can't afford to own my own home, so I don't pay the tax for LexTran, but I also don't have children, and yet I pay for our schools, and I don't complain, so I really wish others wouldn't complain about supporting a mass transit system for the city. I do pay $360 or more a year to ride LexTran, so I am supporting it. People get so bent out of shape about the slightest tax, and yet without taxes we would have to cancel services that would get people in an uproar. A little holiday cheer isn't going to make or break the system, or any of us, for that matter.

Lextran Spreading Some Christmas Cheer

No comments: