Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Snowboarding at night

was the entertainment I had to occupy me while waiting for the bus tonight. Some guy was snowboarding down the embankment in front of the hospital with only the streetlights and the lights around the flag to illuminate what he was doing. He was pretty good, actually.

It is very cold. This morning it was 7 degrees. Even now it's 19. Yesterday I found something at the book fair to help with that. Which do you think looks warmer?

Me with my light duster, a scarf, and hat.

Me with my heavier coat and my new 6-way hood/scarf.


Obviously the answer is the one on the right. It's a fleece hood that extends about 8 inches beyond normal down. You tuck that up and it covers your face, too, like a balaclava. Or you can pull that down and just have a hood, pull the hood down and it's a scarf. It has pulls that help adjust it; it can even be a bag. You can have the hood down for a masque/scarf combo. There's also a beanie hat option. It is very, very warm. And it was less than $8, which I thought was pretty decent. I found a video showing how to change things around:



I'm not including this as an advertisement, just for fun. But if you are interested, their website is: www.HotHeadzProducts.com (although it's geared to retailers, or you can do a search on Polarex 6-in-1 and it'll bring up lots of places that sell them. Regular price is $24.95. I got mine for $7.99, but I found some for $9.99 on the Internet.)

We still have snow on the ground (and are expecting more on Sunday), and there was actually enough and of the right consistency that I've seen several snowmen around town. One was at my apartment complex, but I noticed tonight someone knocked it down. It was cute, though, with a carrot for a nose. The most interesting one, though, was a large one at the fire station on Richmond Road. It has a fire hat on the top and a Dalmatian at its side. :)

Ah, winter. It is not my favourite season, in fact it is my least favourite, but it has a lot of appeal. If it just weren't so darn cold. I love snow,too, so long as I don't have to go out in it. :)

No comments: