Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, December 23, 2010

I came home early today because I finished all my work


and was lucky enough to get a ride from a co-worker, plus she gave me a pair of gloves that were too big for her. Since mine are unraveling, this was great. There are a lot of good people in this world. Thanks so for the ride and for the gloves!

The beautiful, large wreath I hung on the door last night is quietly filling the hallway with lovely evergreen fragrance. I hope that doesn't bother anyone. I find it very nice. I sent a thank you note for it today (it was given to me), as well as a sympathy card for someone I know who lost her husband yesterday to a long illness, which I know is bad at any time, but must be especially painful before the holiday.

It was a nice day. I was pretty productive despite my blood sugar being so high this morning. I had a very light lunch (cheese sandwich and tomato basil soup) and didn't get foggy at all afterwards. Yesterday they came and changed out the computers in the library for new leased ones, and I've been tweaking things a bit to try to get my settings back how I had them. The sad thing is apparently the DVD drive doesn't play CDs. Fortunately I have music and a radio on my phone for when it's very, very quiet in the late evenings. But no more singing along out loud with Rob Thomas once my co-workers have vacated the library. :)

Next week I have several books to catalogue. I'm lucky we had a grant this year (and it's been renewed for next year, yay!) for books and electronic subscriptions, as my entire book/journal budget is taken by the print journals.

I washed dishes and took out the trash this morning, but the apartment is a wreck and I'd like to do some straightening up and also take out the recyclables. Laundry is still an issue as well, and there's wrapping presents and doing game notes.

I've been re-reading A Christmas Carol and I've gotten almost through the Ghost of Christmas Present. I forgot how much I enjoy Dickens. I got a complete set of his works for the Kindle for about a dollar. I particularly like this quote, at the very beginning of the story:
I don't mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail. I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country's done for. You will therefore permit me to repeat, emphatically, that Marley was as dead as a door-nail.
:)

I must confess that at lunch (everyone I eat with seemed to be gone today) and while waiting for the bus I did not so much read the Kindle as play Mah Jongg on it. It's addictive, although a little challenging to navigate with the five-way button.

Okay, I'm going to do a quick check on the news, and then do something about the house.

No comments: