Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Some humour on an otherwise somewhat dismal day

Things not to do with a book
Great Western Dragon from LISNews posted the this, and it's absolutely hilarious [click the picture to enlarge and read the print]. I'm not sure if the credit goes to GWD or to someone else; no other one was given, and I couldn't find it anywhere else that wasn't derived from that post. If anyone knows otherwise, let me know.

As a special bonus prize, Great Western Dragon also led me to a great little comic called Sinfest by Tatsuya Ishida. Check out the oh-I'm-so-glad-cultists-in-Call-of-Cthulhu-haven't-figured-out-this-one comic, when a young boy teaches a book to speak. I also love today's, where an advertisement asks, 'Do you enjoy power? Do you like to crush people and laugh at their pain? Then you have what it takes to be an Illuminati! Call now! Be part of the shadowy action!'

Oh, and the dismal day part? It's actually been a lovely day to a point--I took off from work to take a friend to an appointment and do some much-needed errands, and he in turn bought me lunch, then I took another friend to work. Fortunately I got everyone shuttled about and was on my way home when my transmission went out. Again, no power at 25 mph and 4000 rpm. Again, smoke coming from under the hood--but in greater amounts. People on Alumni Drive were quite wroth with me and I pulled over and let them pass since they were honking, then slowly made my way to over by the synagogue so I'd be safely off the road. At that point, when I made the turn, the car went backwards in drive, so there's really no doubt that it's the transmission. I had it towed the last few blocks home and informed my friend that I can't pick him up tonight. So now I get to weigh my options. The car isn't really worth rebuilding the transmission, although I will go ahead and call the owner of the tow company--who apparently does them--just to get a price. I haven't heard back from the car lot, which could mean that there was no instant rejection or it could mean they haven't heard yet if financing will be available, or it could just mean that they're ignoring me. I have a call in to the sales rep. I guess for now there's nothing to do but go ahead and pay my electric bill, which I'd been saving in case I needed more money for a smaller auto repair (I was, ironically, heading home to double-check a few things (like bank balances) and then was going to head to the shop to have them do a test-drive and tell me the problem) and put the rest of what I don't need immediately into savings, then put more in at the end of the month. I believe 'bummer' doesn't quite cover it. :(

No comments: