Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

How to surprise a customer - read Hebrew

I was at work today and a young woman came in talking on a cell phone. Her shirt was in Hebrew. I looked at it for a moment and asked her, 'Ramah?' She was startled and told me yes, then told her friend that someone had just read her Ramah shirt. Now mind you, I could read the sounds, but I didn't recall right off the top of my head what Ramah meant. I'd guessed at the vowels because in modern Hebrew they're not written. What I studied was Biblical Hebrew. She didn't have time to explain, paying for her gas and then walking on out. I guess she just assumed I was Jewish, too. No. Just a pagan who happens to have a Judaic Studies minor. So I had to look it up. Turns out:
Camp Ramah (Hebrew: מחנה רמה) is a network of Jewish summer camps operating in the United States, Canada, and Israel. The first camp opened in Conover, Wisconsin, in 1947, under the aegis of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America, the academic hub of Conservative Judaism. The program was drawn up by Moshe Davis and Sylvia Ettenberg of the JTS Teachers' Institute.

: (ramah) רמה
nf. level, standard, degree, echelon
nf. height; highland, high place, upland, elevation, eminence; plateau, tableland

So her shirt tells me she's probably a member or has been a member of the Ohavay Zion congregation here in Lexington, which is the Conservative synagogue here. (Temple Adath Israel is the Reform one. We don't have an Orthodox synagogue in Lexington.)

Nice to know my Hebrew, whilst terribly lacking, is not completely out of my head, plus I learnt something today. :) Hopefully my teacher, who was a Conservative rabbi, would be amused.

Actually, hers is not the first Hebrew-containing shirt I've seen at the store. There's a dojo somewhere here that teaches Krav Maga, an Israeli form of martial art, so I've seen a couple of people who had that on and were surprised that I 1) could read it and 2) knew what it was. It helps to have a friend to serve as a guide to all things Jewish. :)

Okay, I have actually been watching 'The Universe' on the History Channel, but it's 2 am and time to go to bed. (I did nod off somewhere when they were talking about black holes...that's a bad time to nod off--you might be sucked up unawares.) Good night.

No comments: