Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, September 26, 2008

I'm thinking about getting a lifetime membership

to LibraryThing. You get to put in 200 books for free but I have substantially more than that. It's $10 per year or $25 for a lifetime membership for individuals.

I'm also considering putting my library catalogue there, for $15/year. I was using LibraryWorld but with everyone these days worrying about stretching budgets, the $365/year fee is just too much.

I've got more books personally than the library has books. Most of our collection centres around our journals. Between the medical library and the family resource centre, I think we have about 1,600 books. I've probably got about 3,000. A friend has far more, but I think he'd rather have an old-fashioned card catalogue rather than a database.

Speaking of cataloguing software for personal collections, Libra is an interesting program that displays your books, CDs, DVDs, etc. on shelves graphically. It's free for non-commercial use and easy to use, and it automatically looks up the item based on identifiers just like LibraryThing and most programs do today.

No comments: