Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Ah, books, the finest drug

Tonight, in celebration of still having electricity, I:
  1. Found two cherry bedrails in very good condition that had been put out near the dumpster. They make excellent shelves and have them set up on my cherry endtables (shelf and top, making for a nice span the length of my living room window.
  2. Started unpacking some more books. Discovered what happens when an arachnophobic Jew packs your books...there was a children's book called 'Be Nice to Spiders' in with the books on the history of Nazism and Hitler. Mind you, they were in a little box, separate from the larger collection on the Holocaust. Just Nazis and spiders, which I take it were deemed equally poisonous. :)
  3. After years of thinking it was a nifty idea but not participating, I finally signed up and registered my first BookCrossing book. I'll release it into the wild tomorrow. It's the aforementioned mute-Australian-girl-meets-cockatoo story that made me cry when I was hormonal.
  4. Which led me to a referral by the Eclectic Librarian for SF-Books, a site that lets you trade books (mostly fantasy, science fiction, and horror, but there are other genres, too) with people all over the world.
  5. These, along with freecycling, and possibly eBay for the stuff that might be worth something, will help me on my quest to declutter my home further. Moving helped a lot, but there's more that needs to go.


PS The cats think I put the shelves up just for them. Spock had a close call when he jumped down onto an older case of floppy disks and his foot went through the plastic cover, getting caught between the two parts of the cover. I had a dickens freeing him before he had a total meltdown (plus, he didn't realise what he'd done at first and was trying to drag the whole thing with him). I think that's one that might be better off in a landfill. Who would think one of those would be dangerous? Oh well, at least no harm done.

No comments: