Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

I am hoping

that since good things, like bad, tend to go in threes, that maybe some of it will rub off on the rest of us. A friend had a totally unexpected bounty happen today, the type that just puts you back on your feet (it's up there with, say, my mom and John surprising me with the car last autumn). I'm hoping maybe Dwana will be next; she's had an awful spell the last few days, with fever and vomiting and pelvic pain that wakes her up from sleep even on pain meds, and they're thinking she might be having a gallbladder attack on top of everything else. This, mind you, on top of a broken air conditioner, a fall, and some family issues. She hasn't been able to come to work or do much of anything except be in pain for the last few days. And if it's alright with the universe, I'd really like the third to be that I hear from the library and I've gotten one of the jobs I interviewed for, please, please, please. I sent my thank you today (a little late, but I had to track down the spelling of the interviewers' names, and fortunately one of them was in the paper today). I found out that the HR staff from work spoke with them, explained the layoff being an oeconomic thing rather than anything to do with my performance (they can't give anything much beyond the fact that I've worked there for the past seven years, but they were able to tell them that), and I also found out that the library was able to speak with my former boss, who isn't constrained by any policy, who can tell them all about my work from a supervisor's point of view, and who was always my champion and who has recommended me time and time again. So, that's a happy thing. So, all signs look to be positive (our HR director, for example, said she usually wouldn't run a background check until the end of the hiring process...the library does ask for permission to do so up front, but I still think it's a good sign that they went ahead and did it.) I'm trying not to be nervous, but this is the furthest I've gotten in the process and I so desperately need a job right now, and this really sounds like it would be professionally stimulating and (yes, I know this is over the top, dare I say it...) exciting. One of the jobs looks like it's been reposted, and the paper had another librarian with the branch manager, and I don't know if she was a loaner from another branch or perhaps there were three positions total at that branch, not the two I though.

Sigh. I could sit and work myself into a frenzy--it's been stewing all day, fueled with my worries over the bills--but I won't do that. Soon I'll know one way or another, after all, and I think at this point I have done everything I can to get the job. So, what I really need to do is think about going to sleep. I'm going into work early tomorrow because of a doctor's appointment tomorrow afternoon.

No comments: