Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, July 22, 2004

Okay, I don't get it...

What's with all the 'remakes' of movies or series where the lead is played by a minority? I'm thinking things like 'Walking Tall' or 'The Manchurian Candidate' or even 'Wild, Wild West'. Now Kojak? These are immensely talented actors in their own right, and I'd hate to think that things in Hollywood were so bad that they could not get good movie deals on their own without some sort of 'revisioning' of something that's already been done. What's next? A black 'Man of Steel'? I'm not saying it's wrong, per se, and it wouldn't preclude me from watching, but it's almost like some sort of blaxploitation trend. For the record, I'd love to see Ving Rhames or Will Smith or Denzel Washington or Dwayne Johnson or a score of other entertainers in their own movies. Or, for that matter, more original material in movies in general, as I'm really getting tired of all the remakes of things from my childhood, whether it be the Brady Bunch, Starsky & Hutch, Scooby-Doo, or Charlies Angels. Can't anyone come up with anything new these days?

Ananova - Ving Rhames to be the new Kojak

No comments: