Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

I like to think I'm not incredibly fat phobic

Yes, I'd like to weigh less. Yes, I'd like to have better health and more energy. But this month's Fat @ National Geographic Magazine was enough to make anyone phobic. I didn't learn anything new, really, since I'm pretty up on why we as a culture are getting fatter. But the illustrations were very useful. Unfortunately, the most compelling weren't on the website. Scariest? The centerfold full body scan MRI of a 40-year-old woman weighing, 5'6", 250 lbs with a BMI of 40.3--less than me, mind you, as compared to an inset of a 36-year-old, 5'5", 120 lbs, BMI of 20. But there is also a great illustration of using common items to depict proper portion sizes (potato=light bulb, fruit=baseball, cheese=domino, steak=playing card, burrito=bar of soap, butter=die, pasta=computer mouse) and the growth of portions in the past decades. I plan on showing our dietician, who has long argued that portion-sizes are the number one issue in the supersizing of America.

Nice thing? I'm not dieting per se, and I haven't actually made it back to the gym yet, although Dr N did give me the okay to, but I have been eating more aware, trying the Carb Smart ice cream he suggested (it's made by Breyers/Good Humour, and it's actually quite good), drinking more water, and just trying to eat a variety of foods, and I've lost almost 10 pounds since Wednesday. I know it's likely water, but the odd thing is that I hadn't started the dieuretic yet, I'd already by last Wednesday receded to my norm rather than the swelling up at the ankles that spurred the consult, and I just started my period (as a surprise, a week earlier, but so did another co-worker, and we seem to have been magnetically drawn to Dwana's cycle). But I should still be dealing with PMS bloating, unless it just took my body by surprise.

Anyway, weird.

No comments: