Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Got my blood tests back

and pardon me for posting them here (as if any of you care), but it'll be good to be able to search them out if I need to later.

They were pretty decent...triglycerides 119 (<150 is good), total cholesterol 181, good cholesterol (HDL) is 53 (should be over 40), with the LDL at 104, well under 130. That wasn't fasting, so they're actually probably even better than that, the doctor's assistant said. I came out negative for H. pylori, so I don't have that bacterium underlying occasional gastric issues. My thyroid is good, too, at 2.76, which is good from a metabolic standpoint. I do need to drink a little more water judging from the renal measures, but that's not unexpected and actually I've been doing that already, and not hitting so much in diet colas.

The only concern is my HbA1c, which measures my blood sugar over three months...my score is 6.8. Last October it was 6.0, and the year before that, it was 5.0. But, on the other hand, it isn't bad for someone with diabetes...it means my blood sugar's been up into the 135-160 range on average--decent for diabetes, but still something to watch. I have noticed a difference in ups and downs, but hadn't been able to test regularly. I'm hoping now that I have a reliable glucometre, that I can increase my glucose control.

I forgot to ask about the liver enzymes (my mom and I both tend to run a little high, they don't know why) or the metabolic panel, but they'll be sending those results soon anyway, and I'm sure the endocrinologist I'll be seeing in August will discuss those.

I feel like I'm taking some steps forward in feeling more healthy, anyway. My blood pressure stays somewhere about 120-128/65-78, and my resting pulse is usually under 70, so all in all I feel good about going back to an exercise programme. We are going to check next month to see if my blood pressure changes when I'm tilted into different positions, to see if that explains some of the dizziness and the amount of falls I've had lately. Apparently that's something that can happen in diabetes, too. They're also going to check me over to see what's causing the numbness in my hands. So, wish me luck.

No comments: