Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, October 25, 2019

What book from your childhood would you want back?

Mine would be my copy of a 1st edition paperback of 'The Sword of Shannara' by Terry Brooks. It was given to me by a high school teacher and has an inscription. It had a pull-out artwork by the brothers Hildebrand, which was quite lovely and not included in subsequent printings.

I wound up accidentally putting it in a group of books that I donated to the Stanford/Lincoln County library. It is still listed in their catalogue. I wrote them at one point to see if I could get a copy of the inscription at all, to no avail. I'm tempted to drive down there (about an hour away) just to see if it's still there. I love the idea that others have read it and perhaps developed a love of fantasy from it--I just wish I hadn't let it go due to the inscription and the artwork. I do have an omnibus of the first three books of the series, and I'd hoped the artwork would be duplicated, but no. But the inscription is really what I'd like to 'get back'.

'Only a quid': woman reunited with childhood book in museum shop

No comments: