Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, February 16, 2019

Trying to get back on track

So I was sick for an entire week, and even weeks later I'm having sniffly noses and some mild coughing.  But I'm back to the routine at work, although we're oddly enough off Monday for Presidents' Day, so I took off yesterday for a long weekend.  I spent the whole day doing errands, but they were ones that needed to be done.  I started the day off with a phone, which had been alright the night before, basically becoming a brick.  When the screen was turned on, the emergency medical app would come on, and then the screen would go back.  I could slide up the Samsung Pay app from the bottom of the screen, but there were no 'desktop' or app icons at all.  Then it would turn off, try to turn back on, and repeat.  I waited until T-Mobile opened a couple of hours later, and that's all it did.

So the good news is I didn't have to upgrade to a new phone or spend a lot of money that I didn't have.  I have paid off the phone (it's about 2 1/2 years old, a Samsung Galaxy S7), but I've also kept insurance on it, and so I can exchange it for a new phone of the same model, and it'll just cost me $5 for a fee (I guess that covers their shipping it to the store).  It may come as early as today (I was at the store when they first opened, and it shipped quickly), but with the weekend and holiday it could be Tuesday, I guess, at the latest, unless UPS runs on Presidents' Day, I'm not sure about that.  So here's hoping it'll be today.  She said if it came it should be around noon, and it's a little after eleven now.  Of course, they'll have to e-mail me, or I also gave them my friend's number.

I also called the Lexington Public Library yesterday and spoke with the human resources director, as I have an application in and I was afraid they might call while the phone was out of commission.  So I guess it also shows interest.  It's a librarian position doing programming (as in events, not computers) for patrons.  Keep your fingers crossed for me; I'd love to get back into the library field, and I'm excited about this job.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful to have my current job, but I love librarianship so much more.

I am working on the Doody's Core Titles again this year, as a librarian selector where I select and rate medical books based on my knowledge of Orthopaedics and Paediatric Nursing.  I've done it for many years.  I also just had another book review published.  So I am still pursuing librarian-related interests.

While I was T-Mobile, they talked me into a free tablet, with a $10 addition to my bill for another line but no money down for the actual tablet.  So I've been setting that up and I haven't felt too bereft without the phone. I shared something on Facebook to either message me on Messenger or call my friend's phone at the house if they know it.  I checked and everything's backed up with Google, including my contacts, so that's good.

Other things I did yesterday: I got one new windshield wiper because my passenger one had broken and was being held on with tape, and I also went to the credit union with my friend, and the pharmacy, two grocery stores, did his laundry (I'm working on mine today, after I bake bread).  Apparently, I shouldn't try to bake bread before caffeinating--I put all the ingredients in, set up the menu, but forgot to hit 'start'. I checked about an hour and a half into what should be the bread baking part of the cycle, and it was just sitting there.  Sigh.  It should be working now, though.  I also did the cat litter yesterday and brought the garbage containers back to the house after being emptied.

Today my main to-dos have been on getting a shower, then there's the bread, my laundry, possible trip to Fresh Market for more Belgian endives, possible trip to T-Mobile for the phone, and game notes.

It's sunny this morning and we didn't get the snow that they'd been predicting.  So it's been a good couple of days so far.  I didn't manage to call my doctors about rescheduling some March appointments (I've got 5, and while they're late in the day, that's probably too much to expect to be let off work.  I was going to reschedule a couple at least.  I'll have to call about them Monday.  Most of my appointments fell six months ago, but they were spread between September and October, and then my endocrinologist had to reschedule my January appointment, and it looks like a giant cluster within two weeks.)

So now I'm listening to Pandora (the Passenger station) and I plan on doing a little reading later and hopefully, I'll watch some of a DVD collection I have out from the library, the first season of 'The Librarians'. :)

Okay, I think I'll go for now.  I won't promise to write later, but I will do my best.

No comments: