Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, February 22, 2019

So this week has pretty much been a bust

This foray into pinkeye infection has really not been fun. I am feeling a little better tonight but my eyes still hurt a bit and feel gravelly. Not to mention YKWIA is having issues so he can't read comfortably, and that's an issue. But I think it's almost run its course for me. We have managed to watch several episodes of 'The Umbrella Academy' over the last couple of days. I never read the Dark Horse comic, so I don't know how much they've stayed faithful or veered away from the comic, although YKWIA is a little familiar with the original. But I am enjoying it. The one I'm identifying with the most is Number 7, Vanya, known as The White Violin, who has always been told she is the ordinary one without powers, although obviously she does, for when she goes off the needs after been on since childhood, something starts happening. I'm not finished yet, we're still watching. But I'm enjoying it. They're all damaged, they're all dysfunctional, and a lot of miscommunication leads to issues. And it's delightfully weird. When I did collect comics, most were by DC, but in the Vertigo imprint, like Sandman, The Dreaming, Death: the High Cost of Living, The Books of Magic, etc. The main series I'm watching that is comic-based right now (with my roommate on Hulu; whereas 'The Umbrella Academy' we watch on my Netflix) is Marvel's 'Legion' , which as a comic book is weird in its own right, but the Noah Hawkley series starring an immensely talented Dan Stevens is a story that's just on acid and extremely well done.

No comments: