Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Okay, I'm officially annoyed

I was planning to vote for Jim Gray for Congress, but as I was doing some last minute research, I did consider Amy McGrath as a candidate, but had decided for the most part to go with my first choice. Then I got this text from someone with her campaign that I don't know, telling me to go vote and at least implying I should vote for her, which settled the issue for me, as I do not appreciate unsolicited campaign texts. After all, there are still people who pay per text, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who got this. Granted, mine are unlimited, but still, it is intrusive and unwarranted. I'd also like to know where they got my name and cell phone number, as to my knowledge I haven't given that number out to a political organisation, and it was obviously not a random text, as they called me by name. So in doing this, 'Sam' lost a potential vote for his campaign. Grrr.
Apparently, when checking on this, while it is illegal for companies to send unsolicited texts without consent, campaigns are exempt as they are non-commercial, even though they often use such texts to solicit money or votes. But I did find lots of other people who didn't like this kind of spam. So I'm not alone.
Still considering if it's worth texting back my feelings on the subject, but it's probably some sort of bot texting, anyway. :(

No comments: