Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, January 29, 2007

So much to tell you

I haven't posted in awhile because things have been rather hectic and Blogger was down for maintenance at one point. It's been an eventful few days:

Thursday

I went to get new glasses because my flexible spending debit card came in. I have had a prescription since May and wanted to go ahead and use it before it expired. I went over to Pal Optical because they're covered both by my insurance and a vision programme we have at work called VSP. I chose my frames (they're purple). My insurance actually didn't take more than maybe $20 off the whole thing. But combined with the VSP--the frames were free entirely. I got high index poly lenses with an anti-glare coating (I have trouble driving in the rain and at night and thought this might help) and also the Transitions lenses that change from light to dark depending on the ambient light, given that my eyes are pretty sensitive and again, I have trouble driving in brigh sunlight and usually don't think to put my sunglass part of my glasses on. The grand total without any intervention would have been $316. With the insurance and VSP? $128. The only bad part of it is that it has to go to a special lab that takes 10-14 days, rather than being able to be made in house at the opticians. But hey, with that price reduction, I'm fine with that. It's not like it was an emergency, and I didn't realise that my prescription wouldn't require that anyway. It's fairly high, so I thought it might have to be sent out.

Friday

I was called into my boss' office. Apparently someone complained that I had been blogging at work and I had apparently violated our company policy about harassing or offensive communications. Now, I do sometimes blog at work. I try to keep it to short links that take like 30 seconds (usually some library-related one I've found on one of my lists) or when I'm on my break. I admitted that, and I had no trouble with the verbal warning that I was given. However, the thing I can't figure out for the life of me is what I did to offend anyone. She wouldn't tell me who complained or what it was in regard to. The two most imflammatory posts I've made of late, one directed at my ex-husband and one at an ex-friend who stabbed me in the back, were both done on my time.Whatever this was definitely had been done at work, because my boss checked to see if it were true. On re-reading my posts, the only thing I saw that might have been offensive was talking about the parents who kept their child small for better handling. I thought I made it clear that I thought the rights of the disabled were being violated by this, so I'm not sure who would find it offensive. But there you go. If you're the person who complained, you know what it was, and I am probably totally off base and you're having a laugh. But I'd really wish someone would tell me what I said that was the problem. Of course, this means I can't blog from work, but that's okay. It's not a great inconvenience, fortunately. It may mean fewer library-related links, though, since I may not remember to note them down for later.

Saturday

Was very nice in that I got to sleep late. I didn't have to go in till 2 pm to the gas station and was only working an 8 hour shift. I got my house in good shape, did dishes, took out the trash, went through old mail. My mom and John came up to give me the insurance cards and I met my new doggy sibling. My mom lost her dog Shadow over the holidays when her kidneys shut down due to diabetes. Shadow was a 100-lb Australian shepherd/blue heeler mix. This new pup is a chihuahua/dachshund mix named Sassy. She's all of 3 lbs and not expected to get much bigger. She was, however, very cute and affectionate.

The girl who was supposed to be there when I came though overslept and the others went ahead and left, leaving me alone for a little over an hour with a line out the door. That was a little stressful, but I kept my cool, only tossing a couple of cigarette cartons that fell on my head onto the desk, out of the view of customers, when I got frustrated. But later went fine and the girl amused me by trying to pop bubble gum with a tongue ring. It just doesn't work. :)

In the mail I got a copy of what the public library received when they did a background check. It wasn't too bad; the latest cheque was 2 years ago. It does list dismissed or merged counts along with the guilty ones, so there were several on there. But I'm hoping that it won't mess things up too badly.

Sunday

The game went really well, followed by the new series The Dresden Files. I've only read a portion of one of the books, and I know it's not extremely close, but I'm enjoying it.

Today

I've been cataloguing all day, listening to the musical episode of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'. It's very peppy and good to pace the work. No word from Jessamine County Public yet. I got to eat with D for a few minutes and talk to her for a change. We never get to see each other with her being a mom now and our schedules never seem to meet up, which is a shame. But we're both really good at supporting the other when a sympathetic ear is needed.

That's all. Sorry for the long post. Tonight is notes and Heroes, so I have to go.

No comments: