Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

I wonder what this says about me?

We're undertaking the FISH! Philosophy in the hospital where I work and among other things each of us were asked to choose some stuffed beanie fish to display in our departments. I chose 'Sigmund and Ray', a jellyfish and stingray that I named with some weird play on 'Sigfried and Roy'; I figured they could be the shark tamers of the undersea world. The jellyfish has tentacles that remind me of Sigmund the Sea Monster, a Billy Barty vehicle from the 70s from Sid and Marty Kroftt that I loved as a kid. So far, so good.

Today, for the first time, it really hit me that of all the fish available, I chose the two that STING. Hmmmm...there's probably something subconscious about that. At the time, I remember thinking oh, these are the weird fish no one else will want (yes, I identify a little too much with that idea). I feel like I just went through some Rorschach test. Hmpf.

No comments: